One of the overriding themes in the emerging Medicines Optimisation agenda is that of improving the way that we communicate and work with colleagues in the pharmaceutical industry to improve patient outcomes. With significant challenges facing the way that the NHS operates as a result of GP commissioning, the economic situation and the sharp increase in Long Term Conditions, all parts of the system will need to find ways to work collaboratively in the future. Therefore PrescQIPP aims to help further engagement with industry in a robust, transparent and responsible way.
Below we present a number of ways that we do, and can, interface with the pharmaceutical industry:
Video - How to engage with PrescQIPP
On 1st February we held a webinar to provide an overview of PrescQIPP, our delivery and consultation processes and how pharmaceutical companies can engage with us. The video is now available below for you to use as a guide.
Primary Care Rebate Schemes
Pharmaceutical Industry Scheme Governance Review Board
Over recent years, we have seen an increasing number of financial schemes being offered to NHS Trusts. Now that the commissioner model of the NHS has been fully implemented, pharmaceutical manufacturers are looking for opportunities to emulate the secondary care model, paying retrospective discounts to commissioners based on sales into the community. This is also an area that GPs are familiar with and increasingly something commissioners are considering. Whilst discounts to primary care commissioners could provide significant efficiency savings, if correctly and transparently governed, there is a risk of perverse incentives altering local prescribing adversely.
In response to these risks, the Pharmaceutical Industry Scheme Governance Review Board has been established to address these risks. Delivered as part of what we deliver to those commissioners who subscribers, the Board is offering comprehensive governance to assess whether schemes offered locally are clinically and financially appropriate. Please find below, the link to the Board Outcomes, and also the latest Operating Model.
Link: Primary Care Rebates
Pharmaceutical Industry Rebates in UK - October 2017
On 30th October PrescQIPP hosted a webinar on primary care rebate scheme (PCRS) governance systems in the United Kingdom, covering the PrescQIPP Pharmaceutical Industry Scheme Governance Review Board. The session was chaired by Kevan Wind, and was a general educational session for stakeholders, including the pharmaceutical industry to help explain our assessment process. We look at the background, key system considerations, general principles, and the similarities and differences within the UK systems. We also gave examples of where schemes commonly fail.
Preparing for Joint Working and the Seven Steps: A guide for NHS organisations
PrescQIPP are pleased to release the Preparing for Joint Working Toolkit, developed in collaboration with the EAHSN, CCGs, ABPI, and a number of individual companies. The Toolkit, which contains 20 templates and case studies, provides pragmatic guidance around preparing for, and undertaking joint working projects with the pharmaceutical industry, in line with Medicines Optimisation, Innovation Health and Wealth and the ABPI's Seven Steps recommendations.
Stakeholder consultation as part of our QA process
PrescQIPP aims to engage a wide range of groups as we develop resources. As part of our Quality Assurance process PrescQIPP offers genuine stakeholders the opportunity to register to review and comment on relevant draft materials.
Our stakeholders include patient and carer groups, pharmaceutical industry, voluntary sector organisations, and NHS professionals, groups, organisations and networks. Visit our stakeholder page to find out more about our relationships with these groups.
How to get involved with stakeholder consultation:
- Take a look at the horizon scan on the front page of our website. This table shows all of the work plan items that are scheduled in for the year and if they are still open to stakeholders.
- Get in touch by clicking the CONTACT button (above), and select: I am a STAKEHOLDER and would like to register my interest.
- We will then be in touch to provide you with the relevant registration documentation, further information and, if necessary, arrange a call to chat through the process.
Requests for meetings and other engagement
PrescQIPP has grown rapidly in size and coverage but we are still a relatively small team, working predominantly with and for the NHS. We receive a high volume of requests for meetings, which we sadly do not have the capacity to accept. That said we are always keen to consider new and exciting projects that our subscribers may wish to consider. As such we are happy to hear from companies via email, and we are committed to responding to all stakeholders in a positive and cooperative manner. Requests for meetings will be politely declined unless it specifically relates to current work.
Please could companies consider the following:
- Who is the best person at your organisation to be the single point of contact with PrescQIPP. It doesn’t mean we won’t have wider communications with your colleagues but we have found that a single point of contact maintains good channels of communication and flow of information.
- If you have a product, joint working project or initiative that you would like to inform us of please get in touch providing supporting information that will allow us to ascertain the relevance to our own work plan and clinical appropriateness. We will then get back in touch if we have any questions or would like to arrange a discussion.
- For rebate schemes please see the primary care rebate scheme page for more information.
- Finally please be aware that we do not promote your products or schemes, we offer clinical guidance, implementation materials and highlight opportunity for our subscribers. Our subscribers lead on the work plan and it is subject to change should they ask for alterations. We do not change timescales unless agreed with our subscribers.
- To get in touch, please click the CONTACT button above, and select: I am a COMPANY and would like to share information about my Product, Project, or Company. and attaching any key documents.
Does my company already have an agreed point of contactPlease check the list below:
- If your company isn't on the list then please agree the contact internally and then let us know.